Author Topic: [Review] Fields of Green (2016)  (Read 77 times)

Offline bradandmary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Villager
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 1 : Exp 60%
    HP: 5.5%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 0
    Take : 0

[Review] Fields of Green (2016)
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »

Fields of Green is a fun little card drafting game.  Its designer is Vangelis Bagiartakis, who is more famously known for his other drafting game, Among the Stars.  I have never been interested in the space theme of AtS, but coming from the prairies of Canada, the farming theme is much more appealing.

Compared to other drafting games in my collection, like 7 Wonders and Sushi Go, Fields of Green has a lot of really interesting elements to its game play:

- At the start of each round in Fields of Green, each player draws 6 cards, but each player can choose how many field, livestock, construction, and building cards to draw.  This allows you to more easily pursue your goals and hopefully get cards that will better help your farm.

- With other drafting games, you simply pay the cost of a card, get its benefit, and focus on the next card drafted.  With Fields of Green, you are also building your farm, so placement of fields, animals, and such will determine the point value of the cards played.  There is certainly a deeper level of strategy involved in making a selection.

- To deepen this level of strategy, many cards provide needed resources, money, or victory points during the harvest phase at the end of each round.  These cards require extra resources to trigger, however, so planning ahead to ensure your farm will operate at maximum efficiency is a must.

- I really love the equipment tiles that become available though some of the different cards played.  These are drawn at random, and they are added to a card to enhance its ability.  While there are three of each card in the draw piles, the equipment cards help to make your farm truly unique.

- Playing a two-player game of 7 Wonders is not much fun, and with Sushi Go it is impossible, but the game play for Fields of Green is very enjoyable.  Cards are selected, all 12 are shuffled, and a number of these cards become available for both players to choose from.  There is a lot of tension seeing a card you desperately need become available, and waiting to see if it'll be snatched away before you can claim it yourself.

There are some things that, as with games like 7 Wonders, will improve with time.  The base game is good, but as with any drafting game, more variety of cards is better. 

Artipia Games does have their Kickstarter promo set available for sale, which does add more interesting cards to the game. 

http://www.artipiagames.com/

There is also an expansion, Fields of Green - Grand Fair, on Kickstarter right now and is shipping in the fall.  It looks to add a lot of new, interesting game play, and a bunch more stuff to add to our farms.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/241478362/fields-of-green-grand-fair/description

I look forward to adding the Grand Fair, but in the meantime, I look forward to continued enjoyment of my Fields of Green.