Author Topic: World of Warcraft board game  (Read 5521 times)

Offline kid^_^

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • King
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 62 : Exp 2%
    HP: 2.5%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 1297
    Take : 760

• ถึงตายก็ขาดบอร์ดเกมไม่ได้ ^_^
    • http://www.ThaiBoardGame.net
  • FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/jiratn
World of Warcraft board game
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
by Christian
(Pennsauken)

The World of Warcraft board game. Christian has been drooling over this one...

Game:
World of Warcraft
Board game manufacturer:
Fantasy Flight Games
Number of Players:
2-6

Once more the genius which gave us Arkham Horror has picked up the license from Blizzard Entertainment to do the world-famous World of Warcraft board game.

Now as anyone who has read any of my previous reviews will know I am a hugely avid gamer. Tackling this review was something I looked forward to.

At a glance, I love this game. It's complex, it has really intricate pieces but not too complex and it runs smoothly. Almost as smooth as a really good connection if you were playing the online game.

To begin with, players assume the role of one of the following: paladin, shaman, priest, warlock, mage or rogue. That's for starters! Classes continue on as... An orc, tauren, troll, gnome, dwarf, night elf or even human! But my most favorite is you can play as an undead!

This gives you eight races and 16 classes to choose from in the Warcraft boardgame. Players can even choose which faction they’re a part of. You can play from the Horde point of view or the Alliance point of view.

Now back to when I said intricate pieces, I meant not a lot, or actually no, small plastic miniatures like with other fantasy role playing type board games. World of Warcraft has pieces which are not unlike other Fantasy Flight board games. You have your character cards, a large world map in the form of board itself, energy and health points. Don’t forget the multi colored eight-sided dice. It wouldn’t be a role playing game without them.

The game comes with three ready-to-fight overlords. The group of players choose which one they’re fighting against and thus the game is set. When the game begins, players are permitted to do two of the following actions once per turn; Travel, Rest, Challenge, Training and Town Action.

In The World of Warcraft board game, as with any half-decent RPG-based board game, comes your combat. The combat part of your turn is broken down into two segments. The first is the Attack Phase, followed by the defensive phase. The game even allows for Player versus Player combat. Hey, wouldn’t be The World of Warcraft without it!

There are two ways to win this game. One being to defeat the Overlord within 30 turns. Or the second being once the 30th turn has come to pass, the players are then grouped into their factions of Horde and Alliance and do battle with one another. The winning is the victorious one.

Expansions are beginning to appear. Fans of the computer game will not be surprised about that! Follow links or click the pictures to find out more about the Warcraft boardgame: The Burning Crusade expansion and Warcraft boardgame: Shadow of War expansions.

Pros and cons

It’s World of Warcraft... WoW... who doesn’t like it? This gives one the chance to sit down and not have to worry about connection speeds to enjoy the world and style of the game. I’ve personally found that the board game offers a nice companion to the world and affords one a chance to learn names and locations.

Unfortunately, The World of Warcraft board game not new player friendly. This means if you aren’t familiar with the computer game, don’t play this game, it is not an introduction game. Fantasy Flight made this specifically targeted at the veteran Warcraft players.

It's........... long. Not as long as other Fantasy Flight board games such as the acclaimed Arkham Horror; the 30th turn rule places a limit on the game. A good average game can run anywhere from 2 to 2 ½ hours. It’s a toss-up between

being fun or boring with multiple players.

Turns are either swift or you can run and make lunch well before your next turn comes about. Not to mention my own pet peeve is the weight of the game itself. Just try lifting that box with one hand.

The verdict

All in all, I like The World of Warcraft boardgame, my girlfriend likes this game and we have many a long games together and with friends. Christian’s final rating with the foot is 3 ½ foot prints!

From Thanks : http://www.boardgamebeast.com/world-of-warcraft-board-game.html

Offline theanimaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Villager
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 1 : Exp 20%
    HP: 0%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 0
    Take : 0

Re: World of Warcraft board game
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:43:34 PM »
Wow... "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 240 days." Anyhoo... I just found this site so on with my first post....

2 - 2 1/2 hours?!?! Are you kidding? My first game took me SIX HOURS~!! Not to drive anyone away but... yeah. Friggin 6 hours. And it was FUUUUUUUUUN~!

I had so much fun with this game I decided to spend craploads of money on expanding the game. You can see examples of this at BoardGameGeeks.com (I use the same username), but  I'll post stuff here on that as well. This place need more luv.

On with those 'expansions' I've mentioned. I bought my set at Kinoukuniya Bookstore, and made sure I got the best darn-perfect-mint-shape box I could get. Well, I did... with some b*tching and bickering (they weren't very sensitive to my request for a 'perfect' box). Anyways, THEN I got BOTH expansions from the States, as I have a sister (and brothers) there. It was the best Christmas prezzy of my life... only it didn't all arrive on Christmas.

Ok so there I had it -- the base boardgame and the two expansions. What next? PLASTIC SLEEEEEEVES of course~!!. So I bought a giant pack of plastic sleeves from MBK (About 1,000+ pieces) and boy did I need ALL those pieces~!! No kidding. For the smaller cards I sliced the sleeves in half. That was about oh... 700+ cards. Small cards. This was just the beginning.

Next was the paint. Yep. Citadel Paint. What else? SO like, the base game itself cost me 2,700 baht. The PAINTS I bought (about 22 li'l bottles) cost me roughly over 3,000 baht. Crazy. It'll take me about 5-10 years to paint all my figures, including the ones from the Burning Crusade expansion, but that's a commitment I'm dedicating my friggin time (and life) to XD~!!

and then....

I just HAD to get the BlizzCon Epic Armour pack. That alone cost me about 2,000 baht. Super crazy. Or stupid. But like... if anything comes out for this game... I will HAVE to have it. The compulsion is that bad. This of course, was BEFORE I got the two expansions, and actually, when I did get the expansions, I realised how worthless the epic armour sets were compared to the items you find in the expansions~!!! Ah well... it's Epic Armour yo~!

Right, so I had EVERYTHING. So I went to school (where I teach) and set everything up and then realised... friggin eh. This thing takes about 6 hours and that's 6 friggin hours I (and my students) DON'T have. Well... it was a sight to behold, I can tell you that -- having everything out across two long tables in our EP library. Students were definitely interested, but as I said. SOMETHING was missing.

Saving Games. It HAD to be done.

And now it is.

I racked my brains (I'm a graphic designer afterall by professional profession, btw) and designed boxes that will hold EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING. The first set of boxes were for the players to use, store and save their stuff. This included their own personal place to roll the dice. The next box... well... isn't technically a box, but an INSERT for the main boardgame box... y'know, that HUGE mo'fo of a box. This insert makes it possible to hold all the game cards and counters for the game. Anything left out was for players specifically, so they were stored/saved in the player's boxes. The last set of boxes are for the creatures and characters. These will be designed to hold groups of creatures, box-by-box and will be designed to eventually stack together to form a big cube (or at least that's what I'm aiming for) So you'll have this giant cube-of-a-whole-bunch-of-display-boxes-stacked-together. I say display box because they're meant to be able to showcase whatever is inside... kinda liek, if I want to show em' off in a glass case or something. Now the player boxes are done -- I've finished one and am building 3 more (another is finished, but not painted yet... so that would leave 2 more... aiming for just 4 players instead of 6. Y'know how long a 6-player game lasts?!?!?). I'm currently working on the "GMboard box" which is the insert that holds everything and makes it possible to "save" a game. It's neat -- it included a swing out drawer in the center. That's how I found the space to keep all the counters. Remember this thing hold EVERYTHING -- including all the cards from the two expansions! You'll have to see it to believe it.

All the materials and stuff for the boxes cost me well around hmmm... I'd say uh... prolly 1,000 baht. The brushed-aluminium knobs used for the player box drawers cost about 600 for them all. I'd say I'd invested about 1,000 more in cutters and other tools.

This thing is more than just a game. It's a die-hard HOBBY.

If anyone is interested in seeing those boxes, I've posted pictures of them up (along with some of my painted miniatures-in-progress) at BoardGameGeeks.com. Again, I'll start a couple new threads of stuff here when I get around to it.

If anyone is interested in actually BUYING those boxes, then send me a message or better yet email me. My email is my username here at gee mail dot com. 

Offline woffth

• Duke
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 37 : Exp 14%
    HP: 0.2%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 214
    Take : 52

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:20:16 AM by woffth »
เกมที่อยากเล่น

Yspahan, Aquädukt,       
1960: The Making of the President,  BattleLore,        
Thebes, Shadows over camelot, Thebees,  Torres,  Scotland Yard,  Prophecy,  Genoa, Pirate's Cove

เกมที่เล่นล่าสุด

siamza16

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »
Thank you