Author Topic: What is in Demand  (Read 2823 times)

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Duke
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 34 : Exp 30%
    HP: 0.1%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 59
    Take : 169

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
  • FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/battlefieldbangkok/
What is in Demand
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
Ok new supplier hooked up.

What is in demand, what games you like to see in the store in May?

Let your imagination run wild, let me know so we can start planning.
Battlefield Bangkok Game and Hobby Store
Battlefield Bangkok Web Site // Facebook // Twitter // FourSquare  // Phone :: 02 747 9719

Board Games, Card Games, Role Playing Games, Miniatures and More

Offline lovenuya

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sir
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 6 : Exp 60%
    HP: 0.2%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 7
    Take : 0

Re: What is in Demand
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »
Warmachine!!!

Offline abc

• Prince
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 45 : Exp 36%
    HP: 0%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 15
    Take : 3

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
It would be nice if you sort your games into categories like auction zone, deduction zone, etc. ^^

Offline armourer84

• Manager
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Prince
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 54 : Exp 33%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 213
    Take : 364

• Sweet Time!!
    • http://www.thaiboardgame.net
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »
Investigate around this market room.
There are some data and information of demands around.

Hint: Almost products are sold out. Find out what those products.
RECENTLY GAMING!

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Duke
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 34 : Exp 30%

• ThankCool Statistics

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:24:57 AM »
It would be nice if you sort your games into categories like auction zone, deduction zone, etc. ^^

Not sure I follow you. I am asking what everyone would like us to get in stock as we've got a new supplier that can get us pretty much anything we want. Certainly once the store is open we'll have sections for specific offers and the like. Second hand etc.

Cheers

Chris
Battlefield Bangkok Web Site // Facebook // Twitter // FourSquare  // Phone :: 02 747 9719

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Duke

• ThankCool Statistics

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
Investigate around this market room.
There are some data and information of demands around.

Hint: Almost products are sold out. Find out what those products.

yes I have one of the Thai staff reading over the forum to track the data, but I like to ask too, my written Thai being limited to about 10 letters :D

Offline Mike Brodu

• Lord
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 15 : Exp 83%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 24
    Take : 9

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
Chris, I think Sixpsya was suggesting you that when the shop opens, the games are classified by broad gamestyle. Ie, all games which main mechanism is auction (Power Grid, for example) should be together, all games that are essentially deduction (Clue) should be together, and so on.
Of course, that doesn't really answer your question :)

For my part, I think I'll repeat what someone else said: smaller games with short duration game are preferable over big monster games. I love having that big box on my shelves, but some of them I haven't played them yet, in like 2 or 3 years since I bought them. But the smaller faster games keep coming to the table, even with non-gamers, because the rules are usually fast to explain, and if it doesn't do it for the players, it's quickly over and we can change to another short game.

Plus, with the money spent on a Big game, you can usually buy 2, sometimes 3, different small games, for more variety.

When I advised the FFG catalog of big games to fill your order, I may have made a mistake in judgement.

I also think you should sell Magic cards, even if you don't want to make it your core market. Have a couple boxes of the latest sets behind the counter. It's a mistake to deliberately not sell something that has proven that it sells here. Some people will come in the shop looking for the cards, unaware of the rest of the offer. If they don't find the cards, they won't come back. But if they do, they'll come back, and everytime they come back is one more chance to expose them to over kind of games. Plus I don't think there are a lot of card shops around that side of the city, so you might find yourself having a local monopoly :)

Mike

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Duke

• ThankCool Statistics

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »
I also think you should sell Magic cards, even if you don't want to make it your core market. Have a couple boxes of the latest sets behind the counter. It's a mistake to deliberately not sell something that has proven that it sells here.  Plus I don't think there are a lot of card shops around that side of the city, so you might find yourself having a local monopoly :)

True enough......
Chris, I think Sixpsya was suggesting you that when the shop opens, the games are classified by broad gamestyle. Ie, all games which main mechanism is auction (Power Grid, for example) should be together

Right yes that would be the overall aim, styles of games grouped together , but we'll see how that works when everything arrives :)

Offline armourer84

• Manager
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Prince
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 54 : Exp 33%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 213
    Take : 364

• Sweet Time!!
    • http://www.thaiboardgame.net
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »
I also think you should sell Magic cards, even if you don't want to make it your core market. Have a couple boxes of the latest sets behind the counter. It's a mistake to deliberately not sell something that has proven that it sells here.  Plus I don't think there are a lot of card shops around that side of the city, so you might find yourself having a local monopoly :)

True enough......

I heard the news (rumors) from www.after2k.net. There is a MtG player want to open new MtG shop on the western Bangkok. He doesn't announce where he will launch the shop but he promise to all MtG players at www.after2k.net that he will open the shop within the end of this month.

The shop location can predictably be Bangna or Sri Nakarin. If this take place at Bangna, it will be near to your shop.

Other information about MtG market.
- Acceptable price for each booster pack = ฿110 or less
- Main marketing strategy of the MtG shop owner is "card drafting" and "tournament event". Set up the official tournament from DCI and Wizard of the Coast can attract the players who have the purchasing power.
- Almost MtG in Thailand import directly from Singapore by the owner of Big Magic Shop.(This is believable rumor.)
- Main strategy of Big Magic Shop is card exporter: buy the cards from Thai players and then export to Singapore and Hong Kong players (Because Thai players mad for card drafting but other country don't)
RECENTLY GAMING!

Offline Mike Brodu

• Lord
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 15 : Exp 83%

• ThankCool Statistics

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »
- Almost MtG in Thailand import directly from Singapore by the owner of Big Magic Shop.(This is believable rumor.)
- Main strategy of Big Magic Shop is card exporter: buy the cards from Thai players and then export to Singapore and Hong Kong players (Because Thai players mad for card drafting but other country don't)

This is no rumor. I've talked to Zack Lim, the Singaporean owner of Big Magic, and that's exactly what is going on.
However, I don't know if he is the official importer of WotC products in Thailand, or if that's what he is for Singapore (and then he ships crates from SGP to BKK).
All the shops I know have to buy their cards from Zack Lim, or import directly from the US, a much more costly process.

Chris, weren't you in talks with WotC to become official importer of their products in Thailand? How did it go?

Anyway, I suggested that you have cards for sale, but I would advise against turning your shop into a draft meeting point. That's a sure way to make sure at least one or 2 tables are monopolized by card flippers... And unless you plan to sell singles as well, drafts aren't going to help your business much (standard draft: 8 players, 3 boosters each).

Mike

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Duke

• ThankCool Statistics

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
"Chris, weren't you in talks with WotC to become official importer of their products in Thailand? How did it go?"

Nothing happened there, but that should be a moot point with the new supplier I have who also does Magic. I believe they have the latest expansion Conflux and Alara Reborn due shortly (as well as info on the new Magic 2010 expansion, due for release July this year I believe)

Roughly speaking....and this is a guess, would be able to get boosters on the shelf for for less than THb110 and members will get a discounted rate on that too.... well I guess I'll put that to the test.

Question : What Expansions does everyone play right now?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:37:42 AM by Chris »

Offline Mike Brodu

• Lord

• ThankCool Statistics

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
From what I've seen, the favorite format for constructed play is Standard (the two latest blocs released + the current base set; currently that means the Alara block+ Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block + 10th Edition), followed by Extended (which is standard plus a few more blocks). But by far, the most popular type of play is draft, and draft is almost always done with boosters from the current block. Currently, standard draft should use 2 Shards of Alara boosters + 1 Conflux booster per player, but Thai are big fans of the novelty and often go for the unorthodox 1 booster of Shards + 2 Conflux. When Alara Reborn will be out, it'll be 1 booster of each set of the block.

So, if you wish to order cards, I'd advise to just get boxes from the latest block (Shards of Alara, Conflux, and Alara Reborn when it's out). That should satisfy the drafters. Everybody else can still go and buy other cards in the many other shops.

Mike

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Duke

• ThankCool Statistics

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
Run into a small problem, WOtC and Upper Deck seem to limit their distribution to the USA through distibution partners. I'll need to contact them both directly.

Offline hima

• Baron
  • Level and Hp mod by the DtTvB :: version 1.02 :: Made for Zone-IT.com Level 9 : Exp 93%
    HP: 0%

• ThankCool Statistics
    Give : 0
    Take : 2

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:55:43 PM »
Well, I'm one of those customers who buy boardgames based on the game theme. I'm a sucker for horror/thriller stories, so any games related to zombies/horror/murder would be nice :) *cough*Mall of Horror*cough*
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:58:53 PM by hima »

Offline BFB Fanatic

• Duke

• ThankCool Statistics

• Gaming is Good!
    • Battlefield Bangkok
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:16:54 AM »
Mall of Horror.... okay that's one I need to look up, We will have Arkham in right from the start and a bunch of expansions for it too!

Hmm my supplier has Mall of Horror listed but not presently in stock. I can certainly ask if they can get it and add it to our next order.

We're testing some Air Freight this week, should be interesting to see how fast we get the gear and how much it costs.

Cheers

Chris

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:19:23 AM by Chris »